RSS Feeds

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Why I don't do my own covers...



I had a few people ask me if I came up with the designs for my books, or if my designer did. Well, what a very interesting question and I wanted to post about that. Plus, even though it hasn’t been a great secret, it gives me a chance to show you what the cover for the next installment in the Dean Curse Books will look like. 

So, after I finished the outline for book 4 I decided I wanted to title it DEEP. But after a bit of thought I decided that sounded boring, so I tried BREATHE, and that didn't look right to me either, or rather, it didn't feel active enough, so I changed it to PLUNGE. I mention that so you understand why my concept design that I sent to the designer says DEEP.
Alright, alright, I am sure you are dying to see my superior art skills, so I'll force you to wait no more. 

Cue orchestra. Release the doves. Here it is:

PS- if you love mine more than the designer's hack job of my idea, I am available for commissions :)


 \

So, what do you think? Have I missed my calling? Should I hang up this whole writing thing and hang a shingle as an artist and book designer?


3 comments:

Stacy McKitrick said...

Hey, at least you have an IDEA what you want your cover to look like. I'm sure your cover designer appreciated that (and did a wonderful job, I might add). Me? I usually don't have a clue!

By the way, I think you're a better artist than I am, too! :)

Steve MC said...

Wow. That cover is just amazing. The one on the right, that is. But your cover is amazing, too, is in that from such humble beginnings such a wonder of a cover could be born. :-)

Steven W said...

@stacy - Thanks, and if nothing else the designer probably appreciated it for the laugh he got from it. But i hear you on not having a clue sometimes. I have a large series I'm working on right now and trying to come up with a concept is killing me.

@steve - What do you mean? The designer basically just added color to mine. LOL. No, I still don't know how he pulled that design from the brief I sent him. But I'm thrilled he did. PLUNGE is supposed to round out the series and I'm debating doing one more after just because I want another of his covers :)

Post a Comment